By Patricia Belyea
SEATTLE WA Today five intrepid Block Party Quilters traveled from the Eastside to my home in Ballard for a Doodle Quilting class. They boldly came west even though the 520 bridge was closed all weekend.
Adding curves to quilt tops with simple patternmaking was the focus of the day. It was great to watch each student come up with an innovative resolve from the same instructions:
- April worked with yukata and contemporary cottons to create a lively composition
- Lauren designed the pattern pieces on her four blocks to visually flow together
- Teresa added an inner contrasting border and outer matching border for a finished modern block
- Diana made two blocks that stack vertically with horizontal sashing and borders for a wall hanging
- Arlette immediately cut down her 18″ squares to 12″ squares for a dramatic black and white quilt top